Saturday, June 2, 2012

Mommy's Time Out Part 2 - coffee shop travels

I did it!   I escaped.  I ran away. I went to... Starbucks!   With my trusty gift card in hand I got myself that chai tea latte and a thumbprint scone.  I sat down in a comfy chair with a little table beside it.  I pulled out that netbook, set down my stuff and ... well... I.. um... got stuck.   Here I was, writing implements at hand, a great place to sit, no kids, no chores and I had a blank mind.

I had no idea where to begin.  So I did what anyone else in my position would do.  I signed into twitter.  I poked around there for a while, I read my email and then when I was feeling it, I opened my word processor.  And still nothing came out.  So I got busy and set up files for my writing, cleaned up my documents, put things in order and went back and read some articles I'd book marked.

While it wasn't what I'd planned - it was definitely fun to do this.  I got some awesome people watching in - including the loud guy who sat near me and talked about all the hot women, cars and stuff he'd seen, had or wanted.  While I did my best not to listen to the conversation - it was pretty near impossible to avoid.  ( I should mention it took a LOT not to laugh out loud sometimes - and the term mid-life crisis came to mind quite a bit)

I did learn that I should go with a plan, should leave right away (I puttered around the house after my husband and the boys I left) and should maybe scout out another location to find a better spot to sit so I can avoid the loud voice distractions.  All in all it's been a good day, though.  I'm happy.  I took time away - sat on a chair away from the chaos and enjoyed my time out.  Seriously, I can't figure out why my kids don't like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment