Friday, March 30, 2012

Bye Bye Penny

I've heard it said many times that we don't need pennies. That pennies just sit in dusty jars, get left behind, take up too much space in a purse and we'd be better off without them.  While that sounded like a good idea, I didn't actually expect anyone to stop using pennies! 

Guess what folks?  If you live in Canada, pennies will no longer be minted past this year.  I know!  Pennies gone forever! Well, not really - at least not for quite some time.  They will still be legal tender and if the rest of the country is anything like me, we've all got scads of them hoarded in our penny jars.  Now I know why we've saved them for so long - we needed to keep them alive!

It feels odd to know that by the time my kids are grown, their kids will not collect pennies.  While I get technology will change - pennies just seemed so, well, solid.  And how about penny-pinching?  How are we supposed to do that without pennies?  Nickel pinching doesn't quite have the same ring to it, you know?  And if one should 'watch their pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves", what happens to the dollars when we don't have pennies to watch?  Does it work the same way with dimes?   Will things keep coming back like a bad loonie?   oh.. so many questions.

I guess one good thing came of this budget announcement.  I am finally going to go count and cash in that giant coffee jar of pennies we have.  I'd kind of forgotten about them until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment